Your favourite Banana Bread..but with a twist. A really chocolatey twist to make it even more delicious!!
My sis and I absolutely disliked eating bananas and the only way we would eat it is in the form of banana chips or banana fritters made by my Mom. But that changed one day when we tasted banana bread for the first time from a local bakery. It tasted so good that we simply loved it.
And ever since I started baking I decided that I just have to make banana bread at least once.
So I started searching for a recipe and came across this recipe which instantly drew me towards it. The recipe was for Chocolate Banana Bread which not only looked good but also sounded delicious and I immediately wanted to try it out. After all who can resist chocolate right?
This was my first time ever making a banana bread and also the first time ever that I used a loaf tin to bake. I was extremely happy with the way it came out and in my opinion it is one of the best things that I have baked so far. My list of favourite things to make has just been updated and I am definitely going to be making this more often.
Ok enough about me..lets talk about this awesome Chocolate Banana Bread now.
It has a soft and fluffy texture and is packed with double chocolatey goodness in the form of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. The cocoa powder gives it a dark flavour but the banana adds the sweetness and balances it out perfectly. I made it eggless/eggfree so that everyone can enjoy it.
This banana bread is delicious on its own and you can have it along with your favourite cup of steaming black coffee or tea/chai. You can also have it as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
So the next time you have some overripe bananas in your fruit bowl and want to throw them out, make this chocolate banana bread instead.
This Chocolate Banana Bread is amazing and I really hope you make it or you’ll miss out on eating one of the best things ever.
1 ripe or overripe banana, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
(If you don’t have buttermilk then make soured milk. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lime juice into 1 cup of milk and mix well. Keep it aside for 5 minutes and then use it.)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain flour (Maida)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
1/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus a few more to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 175 C for at least 10 minutes and grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Peel and mash the banana till soft.
- Now add oil and brown sugar and mix well. Stir in the buttermilk (or soured milk) and vanilla essence and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Now add this to the wet mixture and mix well using the cut and fold method.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and gently mix till it forms a smooth batter of dropping consistency.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf tin and bake in the center of a preheated oven at 175 C for around 40 minutes or until done.
- To know if it done, insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean that means it is done.
- Once done, allow it to cool completely before you cut it.
- Enjoy as it is with a cup of your favourite beverage or you can also have it with either some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Overripe bananas are the best to use for this recipe because it will produce a sweeter and moister banana bread.
- If you want the bread to be sweeter you can replace half the quantity of brown sugar with granulated sugar instead.
Storing Instructions/Shelf life:
- Store this Chocolate Banana Bread in an airtight container or wrap it up with either foil or plastic wrap so that it remains nice and moist, or else it will become dry.
- It will remain good for about two days at room temperature and will remain good for about a week if refrigerated.
We attempted to make a recipe video for the first time, so do check it out below and let us know your feedback:
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (@the_epicurious_explorers), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Vote for our blog:
Our website is featured on blogadda.com so please show us some love by rating our blog below or you can find the button on our side bar.