Rocky Road is a dessert made up of chocolate and marshmallows and nuts such as almonds, peanuts etc. is added to it to give it the rocky texture. There are many versions of this dessert as some people put tea biscuits instead of nuts and some even add desiccated coconut.
I had wanted to make this dessert ever since I came across a recipe for it during Christmas. However I was busy helping my mom to make the traditional Christmas sweets and completely forgot about it. Some days back I saw marshmallows in the store and I bought it thinking that I’d make rice crispie treats, a dessert made up of marshmallow and rice crispies but I suddenly remembered about rocky road and instantly wanted to make it. I changed the original recipe by replacing the biscuits with rice crispies and made these Crispy Rocky Road Bars.
The combination of chocolate and marshmallows is really amazing and if you like smores then you will definitely love these too. The rice crispies give this dessert a nice crunchy texture. These bars are really easy and quick to make as you need just 4 ingredients to make them. They are completely fuss free as all you need is one bowl (heatproof) and a spatula to make them. Once you make them you will have to keep yourself from finishing a whole lot a once because they are so tempting. I made a batch of these bars for my family and they all loved it so much that we finished it off in two days.
It is a perfect dessert to make if you are craving something chocolatey but want something quick. So go ahead and treat yourself and your loved ones with these delicious crispy rocky road bars.
Crispy Rocky Road Bars
- 200 grams dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 teaspoons butter
- 12 big marshmallows (cut into half) (keep aside 4 for topping later)
- 25 grams (½ cup) rice crispies or rice bubbles
- Line an 8×8 inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Add dark chocolate and butter into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Remember to remove and stir the mixture each time.
- If you don’t have a microwave you can melt the chocolate by using the double boiler method.
- Once the chocolate is melted, allow it to cool a little and then add in the rice crispies.
- Now stir in the marshmallows and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and spread it evenly.
- Add the remaining marshmallows on top and then refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours so that it can set nicely.
- Once ready, cut into squares and enjoy!
- I have used big marshmallows but you can use mini marshmallows.
- I have used dark cooking chocolate but you can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Instead of rice crispies you can use peanuts, almonds, tea biscuits or digestive biscuits.
- Instead of butter you can use vegetable oil or coconut oil.
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (either @the_epicurious_explorers or @ suz_bakes), or via email (email@example.com).
Vote for our blog:
Our website is featured on blogadda.com so please show us some love by rating our blog below or you can find the button on our side bar.
Like it? Pin it.