Hello Everyone, India will celebrate its 72nd Independence Day on 15th August and we will be celebrating with these Indian tricolor cupcakes.
I have always wanted to make a dessert with the theme of the Indian Tricolor. The Indian flag has three colors namely saffron, white and green. So this year I finally decided to make something and started brainstorming on how to incorporate the Indian flag colors into a dessert.
There were so many ideas but I wanted a simple dessert so I came up with my version of these tricolor cupcakes. That is pistachio and vanilla cupcakes with saffron flavored frosting.
I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe for these cupcakes. To get the green layer I added powdered pistachios so that it had both color and flavor. I also added a few drops of green food color because I didn’t feel that it was green enough with just the pistachios. For the saffron layer, I used store-bought saffron flavored shrikhand (sweetened yogurt) and added a few drops of orange color as I wasn’t orange enough. It looked good and I was happy that I was finally able to make a tricolored dessert but the real question was would it taste good?
I’m happy to say that these cupcakes taste as good as they look. The cupcake is nice and moist and the pistachio flavor is great. And the saffron flavored shrikhand frosting (sweetened yogurt) takes it to another level. After all the combination of pistachios and saffron is a classic Indian combination, especially in desserts.
I think that you should definitely try making these tricolor cupcakes for your family and friends to celebrate the Indian Independence Day. You will have fun making and will enjoy eating these delicious cupcakes.
Happy Independence Day!!
Pistachio and Vanilla Cupcakes with Saffron flavored frosting (Eggless)
1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Makes: 12 regular sized cupcakes
- 1 cup Flour (Maida)
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar or Castor Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 200 grams (200ml) Condensed Milk
- 100 grams Butter
- 25 grams Pistachio (powdered)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Few drops of Green food color
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup saffron flavored shrikhand (sweetened yogurt)
- Few drops of Orange food color
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F for 10 minutes and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together condensed milk, butter, water and vanilla essence and combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently fold together till it forms a smooth batter of dropping consistency.
- Since the cupcakes are of two layers, divide the batter into two halves and keep.
- For the pistachio layer: Add the powdered pistachios and green food color to one half of the batter and mix well. If you find that the batter is too thick then add a few tablespoons of water till you get the right consistency.
- Assembling the cupcakes:
- First, add 1 tablespoon of the pistachio batter into the cupcake liners. Then top it with a tablespoon of the vanilla batter. Do this carefully so that the batter does not get mixed or else you won’t get separate layers.
- Tap the cupcake tin on your kitchen counter a few times so that the batter is even and there are no air bubbles.
- Bake at 180°C / 356°F for around 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- To know if they’re done, insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, that means they’re done. You can also just touch the top of the cupcake and if it springs back then that means they’re done.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting:
- Take 1 cup of Shrikhand (sweetened yogurt) and add a few drops of orange food color to it. Mix well and add it to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle (I have used closed star tip but you can use whichever you want)
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with the frosting and they are ready to be enjoyed!
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (either @the_epicurious_explorers or @ suz_bakes), or via email (email@example.com).
Like it? Pin it.