Cheers to the New Year 2018 Everyone! We brought in the New Year with some yummy Hot Chocolate…not just any plain Hot Chocolate but Red Wine Hot Chocolate.
Hot Chocolate is literally like a warm hug in a cup. It is the perfect thing to make and drink especially in this cold weather. And it tastes even better with a splash of red wine, as we discovered recently.
I had always wanted to make hot chocolate and when I came across this recipe I thought why not try it out. I found it weird at first when the recipe said to add red wine into the hot chocolate but was curious to know how it would taste so decided to make it. I’m really glad that I did because this hot chocolate tastes absolutely delicious. It’s like drinking a bar of chocolate but in a rich and creamy form and the red wine gives a nice kick to it. If you have never made hot chocolate before then this is one recipe you should definitely try.
This hot chocolate is super easy to make at home and the ingredients are really simple. It tastes as good as the ones you get at your local café or even better. The best thing is that it gets ready really quick which means that you can have a piping cup of hot chocolate ready in 15 to 20 minutes max. And trust me once you try it there’s no turning back, you’ll want to make it again and again. You can replace the red wine with rum, whiskey or whatever you like ;). You can top it up with marshmallows as we did or also with some whipped cream, chocolate ganache, etc.
Alternatively, if you want to make a kid friendly version of this hot chocolate then you can skip adding the red wine. So go ahead and make some hot chocolate for yourself or for your family and friends to enjoy and stay warm in this weather.
Red Wine Hot Chocolate
- 170 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons red wine (add more or less as per your preference)
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup water (I used the 1/3 cup twice)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional, only if the dark chocolate you’re using is a bit too dark)
- Add the chocolate and red wine into a saucepan over low heat and stir until the chocolate has fully melted. You can also do this by using the double boiler method to ensure that the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Once the chocolate has fully melted, add in the water, milk, sugar and salt. Allow it to simmer and come to a boil. It will be done.
- Serve it immediately. You can have it as is or top it up with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate ganache, chocolate shavings, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, etc.
- Add the red wine while melting the chocolate and not later because if you add it later the milk will curdle.
- If you want to serve the hot chocolate later then refrigerate it and reheat before serving.
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (either @the_epicurious_explorers or @ suz_bakes), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Like it? Pin it.