I love making desserts with fruits since they add so much of flavor and take the dessert to a whole new level. I have made desserts using bananas , pineapples , strawberries and mangoes. And I’m glad to add these delicious orange muffins to that list . Although, I should not be calling these muffins as a dessert since they are like a healthier version of a cupcake that you can have for breakfast or can even have as a healthy snack.
I had some oranges lying around the house and wanted to bake something with them. Since everyone in the baking community is into baking something healthy in the month of January, I thought ill use the oranges to bake something healthy as well. So I started looking for recipes and came across his one which was perfect.
I adapted the recipe a little to make it healthier by replacing regular oil with olive oil and the sugar with honey (see notes if you want to make it vegan). I wasn’t sure how it would turn out but just gave it a try. The muffins turned out really good and I was super happy. They taste really amazing and the orange flavor shines through. The honey gives them all the sweetness that they need so they don’t turn out being too sweet. They are nice and soft and not very dense like regular muffins.
These whole wheat orange muffins are not only healthy but are also delicious and easy to make. So if you are looking for something healthy to snack on or for a quick on the go breakfast option then you should definitely make these orange muffins. They are refined sugar free, dairy free and egg free and can be made vegan too.
Whole Wheat Orange Muffins (Eggless)
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
Makes: 9 regular muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch/ corn flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey*
- ¼ cup olive oil**
- 1 cup orange juice***
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- Few flakes of almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 175°C for 10 minutes and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together olive oil, honey, orange juice and vanilla essence and combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold together till it forms a smooth batter of dropping consistency.
- Now using two tablespoons or an ice cream scoop fill each of the cupcake liners with the batter about 3/4th full. Sprinkle few flakes of almonds on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 175°C for around 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- To know if they are done, insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, that means they are done.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- You can serve them as is or also drizzle some honey on top if you like.
*I have used honey but if you want you can use regular granulated sugar. You can also use maple or agave syrup to make it vegan.
** You can use regular vegetable oil or melted butter instead of olive oil.
*** I have used fresh orange juice but you can use ready-made orange juice. You can also use any other citrus fruits which are available where you live such as lemons, grapefruits, pomelo, etc. instead of oranges.
To make fresh orange juice: Cut and deseed the oranges and grind them in your juicer/blender. I used 2 big oranges to get a cup of orange juice.
**** I baked the muffins at a lower temperature (175°C) since I used honey and we are supposed to bake at a lower temperature if we use it. If using regular granulated sugar then you can bake them at 180°C.
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (either @the_epicurious_explorers or @ suz_bakes), or via email (email@example.com).
Like it? Pin it.