Pancakes are one of our favorite things to have for breakfast and we love making them especially on the weekend. After all who doesn’t like to pamper oneself with a lavish breakfast once in a while, right?
I remember the first time we made pancakes many years back when we were kids. We had gone to a supermarket and I had seen a box of readymade pancake mix. I was so excited to make pancakes that I coaxed my parents into buying the box although it was a bit pricey. Little did I know then that making pancakes from scratch is actually very simple and easy rather than buying readymade box of pancake mix.
Thanks to my mom who found a recipe, we have been making pancakes from scratch at home ever since. I don’t remember the exact recipe that she uses because she doesn’t really measure the ingredients. However I came across this recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes which is similar to what she used to make and I tried it out. I doubled the recipe as I wanted to make a bigger batch and replaced the regular all-purpose/plain flour (maida) with whole wheat flour to make them a little bit healthy. The pancakes came out light and fluffy although there were no eggs in the batter and they tasted really amazing.
These pancakes are a perfect weekend breakfast or brunch and you can have them as a dessert too. The best part is that they are really easy to make at home so no need to buy those ready-made box mixes. Most of the ingredients are easily available and I’m sure you have them in your kitchen or pantry right now. They are a bit healthy too as we use whole wheat flour instead of regular all-purpose/plain flour (maida) to make them. You can however use regular all-purpose/plain flour (maida) if you don’t have whole wheat flour.
The recipe is totally versatile as it’s just a basic recipe. You can add whatever you like and make your version of pancakes. You can add some chocolate chips or cocoa powder and make a chocolate version. Or you can add fresh fruit such as blueberries or strawberries in them as well. You can make them in a jiffy whenever a pancake craving sets in. So go ahead and make these delicious pancakes for your family right now.
Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes (Eggless)
1 cup = 250ml
Makes: 6 medium sized pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- Butter or oil for frying
- Peel and mash the banana till soft.
- Add in the melted butter, milk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Now add this to the wet mixture and mix till well combined.
- Keep the batter aside for minimum 5 minutes.
- Once the batter is ready for frying, grease a non-stick frying pan with oil or butter.
- Then with a ladle, spoon out the batter and pour onto the frying pan.
- When slight bubbles appear on the surface, carefully flip the pancake and fry it on the other side for around 2 minutes till it turns golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter and your pancakes are ready to be enjoyed.
- You can serve them with your favorite toppings such as maple syrup, honey, chocolate sauce, fresh fruits, etc.
Thank you for going through our recipe. In case you make this, do share a picture with us on instagram (either @the_epicurious_explorers or @ suz_bakes), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Like it? Pin it.